President's message - December
President's message - December
Dear JCI UK Members, Senators and Friends.
Well this is it .... I really can't believe I am writing my last message to you as JCI UK National President!
So let's start with some facts;
- I believe I am the first non Senator National President to have spoken at the Senate Drumming out breakfast
- One week later I was made a Senator - which was fantastic
- This year I have travelled 17,503 miles on behalf of JCI UK
- I have visited all chambers in the UK, with the exception of JCI Portsmouth
- I think I have grown as a person, and no not just in size because of all the great food, drink and hospitality I have received!
- I have to be honest and say I still don't enjoy public speaking, but I don't get anywhere near as nervous as I did, I may be ready to try it without a script soon!?!?
- I have graduated from JCI Presenter, and JCI Achieve during the year.
- I gave my first 'official' training session this year during the Local Leaders weekend
- The Alli Clap is now a well known phrase and well used action!
- I have had the most amazing experience of my life.
- JCI UK has grown by more than 25%
- JCI UK received recognition in Brussels at World Congress for achieving 100% efficiency this year
- JCI UK has raised more than $32k for the Nothing But Nets Campaign this year
- JCI UK has 2 new chambers on the verge of staring, and there are some talks underway about a couple of others
- JCI UK has 'Excelled in 2011'
The last weekend of November was the JCI UK National Convention, and wow what a weekend. The weekend was hosted by JCI Yorkshire and was held in Sheffield. The Conference team did a fantastic job, and it was made all the better by the brilliant delegates, who really got involved and took advantage of the opportunities on offer during the weekend. It was great to see so many different people playing a part in the weekend from hosting a session, taking part in the competitions and delivering training. It was also brilliant to see so many members of the British Senate in Sheffield too, and to see them right in the heart of it with the JCI UK members.
The weekend was jam packed but my favourite part of the weekend was Saturday night....the prestigious awards ceremony. It was great to be able to recognise so many individuals and chambers for their phenomenal efforts this year. But it was not just the award winners that I was proud of, it was each and every person who has helped to make 2011 such a great year.
It was all happening on Saturday night, after the awards ceremony, I had the massively great honour of announcing 4 individuals as Senators, and therefore, life long members of JCI, Paul Thwaite, Lorna Bainbridge, Julia Goodfellow-Smith, and our 2012 National President Solveig Malvik.
It was then time for the moment I had not been looking forward to ...... the passing of the Chain, I've become rather attached to the chain! From the photo's I have seen it looks like Solveig and I are high fiving on the stage, but no that was me officially swearing her in to office.
All that was left for us to do was to party to the live band, who were fantastic, and then party some more at the after party.
It was an amazing night, and the reaction in the room when I finished my speech is something that will stay with me forever - THANK YOU.
All in all it was a brilliant end to a brilliant year.
A couple of weeks ago I was really chuffed to have been able to attend the JCI Achieve course that was run in Sheffield. I had heard such good things of the course that I was really pleased that I got the chance to attend it. Maggie and Lesley from JCI Scotland braced the wind and the snow and came down to deliver the course, and it was cracking. It's always great to get together with other Jaycees and bounce around ideas and get all motivated to go back to you home chamber and make a difference. But, can you believe I have been a member for all this time and never attended an official course, and this year, my busiest year in JCI, I have managed to attend two - brilliant!!
So all that is left for me to say is, thank you for all of your support and hard work this year, I hope you have had as good a year as I have had, and I am really looking forward to see what great things we can achieve in Chapter 2012.
I hope you have a lovely Christmas, a great New Year, and I look forward to seeing you soon.
JCI UK - we've 'Excelled in 2011'
JCI UK National President
Senator # 70323